Cooking time: 1 to 2 minutes
Preparation time: Approximately 15 to 20 minutes
Servings: Serves 4 to 6
With the oppressive weather of the last few days, here is a recipe that will give you a dose of freshness: Salmorejo!
This cold soup, originating from the Andalusia region of Spain, is made with sandwich bread, tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil. Olive oil plays a crucial role in the preparation of Salmorejo. It is the oil that gives it its smooth texture and infuses it with flavor. Our choice? The extra virgin olive oil tasting Fruity Green!
A perfect recipe for hot summer days and to enjoy the tasty tomatoes from here!
- 4 large, ripe tomatoes (about 1kg)
- 150 g rustic white bread, crust removed, bread cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 clove of garlic
- A little more than 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil Fruity Green Maison Orphée
- 2 tbsp. organic red wine vinegar Maison Orphée
- Fine grey sea salt Maison Orphée to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced or sliced
- 3-4 slices of Serrano ham, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Some croutons
1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. With a sharp knife, score a small “X” at the base and stem of the tomatoes. Add them to the water for about 1 minute. Cool the tomatoes in a bowl of ice water and peel them by hand.
2. In a food processor, chop the tomatoes, bread, garlic and vinegar. With the processor running, drizzle in the oil. Add salt, pepper and season to taste.
3. Pour into bowls or cups. Garnish with the toppings of your choice. Add a drizzle of olive oil just before serving.
Notes : If you have any leftover salmorejo, you can store it in the fridge for a few days and use it to top grilled vegetables on the BBQ.
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe