Recipe in collaboration with Science + Fourchette
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Orange crispy beef is probably the most popular recipe in Chinese restaurants. It is worth mentioning that it is a dish that must be eaten right away if you want to enjoy the crispness!
Luckily, with the popularity of the hot air fryer (or air fryer) in our kitchens, this classic Asian dish can be cooked even more easily at home. For this recipe, Science + Fourchette has specially selected virgin sesame oil, which tolerates the heat of the air fryer and enhances the flavors of our recipe.
Accompanied by a delicious orange sauce and a few Thai peppers (if you like it hot), no one will want to go back to the restaurant!
For the crispy beef:
- 454 g beef flank steak, sliced in strips 4 to 5 mm thick, against the grain
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) soy sauce
- 5 mL (1 tsp.) baking soda
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 30 ml ( 2 tbsp.) Maison Orphée organic unrefined sesame oil
For the orange sauce:
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) orange marmalade
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) rice vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp.) ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice and zest of one orange
For the garnish:
- Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- Green onions, sliced
- Thai peppers (optional - very hot!)
- Orange peel
- White sesame seeds
- Maison Orphée's Fleur de sel
- Maison Orphée Toasted sesame oil
- In a large bowl, place beef sliced into strips. Add soy sauce, baking soda and Maison Orphée’s Organic Unrefined Sesame Oil. Mix well and let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- In another bowl, add the cornstarch. Coat the beef strips in the cornstarch.
- Place the meat in the air fryer basket at 190°C (400°F). There is no need to preheat the unit. Add Maison Orphée’s Organic Unrefined Sesame Oil. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine all ingredients for the orange sauce. If using the cooking rack, remove beef strips from the air fryer and coat them with sauce. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Serve crispy beef with rice. Garnish with green onions, hot peppers, orange zest, sesame seeds, Maison Orphée’s Fleur de Sel and a generous drizzle of Maison Orphée’s Toasted Sesame Oil.
Photo credits Science + Fourchette