Preparation: 45 minutes (rice cooking and pizza frying included)
Serving Size: 4 servings, as a side dish with other sushi or as a starter
Who doesn't like sushi! To change a little bit from traditional meals, we propose today a vegan sushi pizza recipe, which means no fish or seafood. You will love this recipe for sure and your guests will definitely be impressed. We also take the opportunity to talk about frying oils we recommend that are a bit healthier compared to what you usually find in supermarkets.
Ingredients for the sushi pizza base
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup tempura batter (store-bought, see instructions)
- 2 cups sushi rice (see recipe below). It is important to use sushi rice because it is a rice with a high starch content, which makes it stickier which is necessary so the pizza base holds together nicely.
- 4 cups Deodorized sunflower oil Maison Orphée (Use also for sushi topping). You can reuse your oil once you are done frying. Just let it cool. When it is cold, strain it through a sieve and keep it in the refrigerator.
Note: for the sushi pizza base, you can find some ready-to-eat sushi pizza base in supermarkets if you don't have time to make it yourself. The sushi pizza base from Suhi à la maison is delicious.
Preparation for sushi pizza base
Put the oil in the deep fryer or in a saucepan. Never leave hot oil unattended. Watch out for splashes. Did you know that our cooking sunflower oil is specially deodorised by a physical process to make it more heat resistant? That is why we strongly suggest that you use our oil for frying, this way you can avoid chemically refined frying oils which are common in grocery stores.
Make 4 patties with the rice. (Like burgers)
Put them in the tempura batter and breadcrumbs.
Fry until golden before removing. Leave on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
Ingredient for topping
- Pickled ginger, to taste
- Wasabi paste, to taste
- 2 green zucchinis, 1 cm slices
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1 packet of enoki mushrooms (optional, for decoration)
- 4 Nori seaweed leaves, cut up with scissors to taste*
- 1 leek white, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour, to make frying vegetables easier
- ¼ cup garlic olive oil Maison Orphée
- 4 large tbsp. Vegan mayonnaise style sauce Maison Orphée
- Maison Orphée Fleur de sel, to taste
*Nori is a black seaweed. It's the seaweed used in sushi restaurants. It gives the recipe a bit of a salty taste. It is rich in nutrients and minerals. You can easily find it in the Asian section of supermarkets or in health food stores.
Sauté the zucchini slices in olive oil until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Reserve on paper towels.
Use the same skillet to stir-fry the shiitake. Season with salt and pepper. Drain on paper towels.
In a large bowl, put the flour and the julienned carrot and leek. Mix well. Fry in the same oil used for the pizza bases. When it starts to turn golden, reserve on paper towels.
Spread a thin layer of Vegan Mayonnaise on the pizza bases. Arrange the courgettes and mushrooms in a layer.
Decorate with a few droplets of Vegan Mayo. Arrange the nori nicely on top. Add some fleur de sel, the julienned vegetables and the enoki mushrooms (if you use them). Accompany with pickled ginger and wasabi.
Sushi rice recipe:
Ingredients for a cup of rice
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 cup cold water
- 4 tbsp. cider vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1 tsp. fine grey sea salt Maison Orphée
- 1 tsp. cane sugar
Place the rice in a large bowl and cover with cold water. You will need to rinse the rice about 5 times or until the water is clear.
In a saucepan, add the rice and water, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed.
In a small microwave-safe container, put the remaining ingredients and heat them up so as to dissolve the salt and sugar. Add to the cooled rice.
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe