Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: About 6 servings
The tasty strawberry season is in full swing!
And what better way to celebrate this wonderful time of year than by cooking recipes worthy of this fabulous fruit. Today we're sharing our recipe for Strawberry Balsamic Shortcake, a perfectly decadent combination!
For the cake
- 1 cup + 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup + 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp. whole milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil Maison Orphée
For the strawberry and balsamic topping
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups of halved strawberries
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup organic balsamic vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1/4 cup honey
- Fresh herbs such as basil or mint, chopped
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350º. Lightly oil a baking sheet and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand mixer), beat the egg and sugar on medium-low speed for about a minute until smooth. Increase speed and continue beating for 5 minutes until mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, then continue to whisk on medium-high speed for another 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the milk and olive oil. With the mixer still running on medium-low speed, add half the dry ingredients and half the liquid mixture. Once well combined, add the remaining dry ingredients and liquid mixture.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet, smoothing it out with a spatula. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. When done, remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- To remove the cake from the baking sheet: run a knife along the sides of the cake to loosen it and lift it off with the parchment paper. You can then cut the cake into the desired shape!
For the filling
- Combine honey and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, whip the heavy cream for a few minutes. Then add the powdered sugar a spoonful at a time and continue until still peaks form.
- Now to assemble, simply top the first tier of the cake with the whipped cream, strawberries and a drizzle of balsamic reduction and repeat for the second tier. Garnish with fresh mint and fresh basil.
- Enjoy in good company!
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographer