Preparation: 30 minutes
Yield : 6
Ideal if you like to discover new flavours. We offer you, an incursion on the side of Moroccan cuisine! A recipe mixing Merguez sausage sandwiches with a warm couscous made with carrots and cinnamon onions. The delicious spicy and sweet taste of this mustard blends in a great way with the Merguez and the couscous. Enjoy your meal!
For cinnamon onions
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) butter
- 1 finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) raisins + about ½ cup of boiling water to cover (to inflate)
- 1 ½ tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 t bsp (15 mL)balanced organic extra virgin olive oil Maison Orphée
- Fine grey sea salt Maison Orphée and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking couscous
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpeas, rinsed with water
- 1/4 cup (65 mL)organic turmeric mustard Maison Orphée
- 1/4 cup (65 mL)balanced organic extra virgin olive oil Maison Orphée
- 3 t bsp (45 mL) white wine vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1 t bsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1 to 2 tsp (5 to 10 mL) fine grey sea salt Maison Orphée
- 1 to 2 tsp. (5 to 10 mL) harissa
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- Coriander or fresh mint to taste
For the sandwiches
- 6 Merguez Lamb Sausages
- 6 Pita Buns
- Fresh herbs to taste
In a non-stick pan, melt butter.
Cook onions gently over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Add raisins and water. Cook for 1 minute.
Add cinnamon and mix.
On a baking sheet, put carrots, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper, then mix it all together.
Bake in 400 °f (200 °c) oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
In a pot, boil the vegetable broth and add the couscous once it boils.
Mix and cover and remove from fire to let the couscous inflate 5 minutes out of the fire.
Separate couscous with a fork and set aside.
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for couscous, onions with cinnamon and the vinaigrette to taste.
For the sandwiches
In a non-stick skillet, grill the sausages 2 minutes on each side.
Finish baking at 350 °f (180 °c) for 5 to 10 minutes.
Serve the sausages with fresh herbs and pita buns. Serve it on directly on table with couscous salad.
Everyone can make their own sandwich to their liking.
Recipe developed by Mélanie Marchand and photographed by Audrey Mc Mahon, available here.