Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Originally from Tuscany, this is a classic salad made with croutons and tomatoes that is often accompanied by an olive oil and vinegar dressing. In this recipe, Dash of Honey offers a reinvented (or even improved) version of the classic panzanella salad.
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced (or half of a small red onion)
- 1/4 cup organic white wine vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 1/2 cups of bread cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil with Maion Orpheus basil
- 1/4 cup of olive oil with basil Maison Orphée
- 2 tbsp. organic white wine vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 lebanese cucumbers, sliced
- 2 nectarines, sliced
- +/- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 100g-125g fresh mozzarella
- Prepare the pickled onions. To a small bowl, add the sliced onion with the white wine vinegar and a pinch of salt. Add ¼ cup of boiling water and honey. Mix well. Let it sit while you prepare the salad. This step can be made in advance (a couple hours before or the night before).
- Prepare the homemade croutons. Preheat the oven to 400F and place the grill in the middle. On a baking pan, mix the bread cubes with the basil olive oil and ½ tsp of salt. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Prepare the dressing. Add all the ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to combine. Season well.
- In a big bowl, add the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the nectarines, the homemade croutons, and the fresh basil leaves. Remove the onions from the liquid and add them to the salad. Add the dressing and mix well.
- Serve the salad with pieces of fresh mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with some sea salt and pepper.
Photo credits Laura Beaulé @dashofhoney