Preparation: About 20 minutes
Rest time: at least 2 hours
Yield : 4 or 6 mousses
An egg-free and dairy-free chocolate mousse? Yes it's possible, and it's absolutely delicious! Its secret ingredient? Aquafaba, a perfect substitute for egg whites. We guarantee, you won't even notice the difference!
- 1 cup aquafaba (see notes)
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 170g of crushed dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup of delicate extra virgin olive oil Maison Orphée
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil with lemon Maison Orphée
- The zest of an orange
- Fleur de sel Maison Orphée to taste
1. In a large bowl, beat the aquafaba with a hand or stand mixer on high speed for a few minutes.
2. When the aquafaba has the same texture as stiff egg whites, add the brown sugar a spoonful at a time and continue beating until it forms peaks, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside in the fridge.
3. In a double boiler or microwave*, melt the chocolate, add the oils and whisk vigorously. Add the orange zest.
4. Let the chocolate cool and add a quarter of the aquafaba. Mix with a whisk. Then gradually fold in the rest of the aquafaba with a spatula. Be careful not to fold in too abruptly, you want to preserve its foamy texture.
5. Once the aquafaba is well incorporated into the chocolate mixture, pour into ramekins. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
6. Take the chocolate mousses out of the fridge about ten minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Enjoy!
Notes: Aquafaba is the water used to cook chickpeas. It is easily found in canned chickpeas sold in supermarkets. For this recipe, we recommend using the aquafaba from a can of unsalted chickpeas.
To melt the chocolate in the microwave, simply heat it on high while stirring every 15 seconds.
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe