Preparation: About 15 minutes
Looking for a new refreshing snack or a surprising and tasty appetizer? Well, our homemade beet hummus recipe is absolutely for you!
For your sandwiches, as a snack or simply to enhance your dishes, this hummus will quickly become one of your favourite recipes!
- 1 cup or 200g of canned chickpeas
- 1 tsp. fine grey sea salt with herbs de Provence Maison Orphée
- The zest of a lemon
- 1/4 cup of organic virgin sunflower oil Maison Orphée
- 3 tbsp. organic virgin canola oil Maison Orphée
- 1 cup or 300g cooked beets, cubed (see notes)
- 2 tbsp. organic turmeric mustard Maison Orphée
- 2 tbsp. organic cider vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped or 1 tsp garlic powder
1. In a food processor, place the chickpeas, salt and zest.
2. Start the food processor at full speed and slowly pour in the two oils until you get a smooth paste.
3. Stop the processor and then add the beets, mustard, vinegar and garlic. Turn it back on until the mixture is smooth and has a nice even pink colour. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
4. Transfer to a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
5. Simply enjoy with seasonal vegetables, fresh bread and crackers of your choice!
Notes: It is more convenient and less messy to use pre-cooked beets and these are easily found in any supermarket. However, you can also cook them in boiling water or in the oven. In both cases, leave the skin on and peel it once cooked. To boil them, just cook them for 1 hour and cool them in a ice water bath. To bake the beets, wrap them individually in aluminum foil before baking for 1 hour at 350 F.
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe