Yield**: 4 large or 8 small waffles, depending on the size of your waffle maker
The holiday season is also a time for resting... and enjoying ourselves!
So here's the PERFECT recipe for your next brunch: sweet potato and olive oil waffles.
For the best results, we invite you to stay in your pyjamas with a good coffee or a tasty hot chocolate!
A recipe courtesy of the catering service Sorrel.
- 2 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (see notes)
- 1 cup of plant-based milk
- 1/3 cup of delicate organic extra virgin olive oil Maison Orphée
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour (we like the one from Meunerie Milanaise)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- A pinch of fine grey sea salt Maison Orphée
1. Separate the egg yolks and whites. In a large bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sweet potato puree, plant-based milk and olive oil.
2. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture, making sure to whisk well to avoid flour clumps.
3. Then beat the egg whites with a stand mixer or hand mixer until they form peaks.
Caution: Be sure to check your egg whites as you go, because if they are too soft they will liquefy your batter and if they are too stiff you will have trouble mixing them into your batter.
Gently fold the egg whites into the batter with a pastry blender, and voilà! The dough is ready to be cooked.
5. Preheat your waffle iron so that it is already hot before putting the dough in it.
6. Put the dough inside following the instructions of your machine.
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the waffle maker. We suggest to test with a first waffle and adjust as needed.
7. Enjoy in your pajamas and in good company!
Notes : *For a quick sweet potato purée, prick the potato with a fork. Cook in the microwave oven at maximum power for about 5 minutes. Turn and continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until tender. Let cool. Peel and voilà!
**The recipe yields about four waffles depending on the size and shape of your waffle maker. However, the waffles freeze beautifully if you want to make more. When you take them out of the freezer, just put them directly into the toaster and they will defrost while remaining crispy on the outside!
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe