Preparation: 20 to 25 minutes
Standing time: 1 to 8 hours (to marinate the chicken)
Servings: 4 to 6 skewers
Father's Day is just around the corner and there's no better way to enjoy this special day than with our recipe for BBQ Chicken Skewers and Grilled Salad. A simple and absolutely DELICIOUS meal!
To your BBQ!
For the BBQ chicken skewers
- 1 and 1/2 lbs or 675g chicken thighs cut into strips about 2 inches wide
- 1 1/2 cups Maison Orphée style BBQ sauce*
- 2 red onions, quartered
- 2 red peppers, cut in cubes
For the Maison Orphée style BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (preferably dark for a stronger taste)
- 1/3 cup of organic cider vinegar Maison Orphée
- 1/4 cup of organic wholegrain mustard Maison Orphée
- 2 tbsp. Maison Orphée oil of your choice
- 2 to 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. organic Dijon mustard Maison Orphée
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt Maison Orphée
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)
- A good pinch of cinnamon powder
For the grilled salad
- 2 to 3 hearts of romaine
- Optional: other seasonal vegetables of your choice
- Ranch Marinade Dressing Maison Orphée to taste
1. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce until smooth.
2. In an airtight dish, place the chicken strips, pour in 1 1/2 cups of BBQ sauce and mix well. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least one hour (preferably 8 hours).
3. About 20-30 minutes before preparing the skewers, soak the sticks in water. If you have metal skewers, even better!
4. Assemble the brochettes alternating with the vegetables.
5. On high, grill on the BBQ for 6 to 8 minutes per side, basting with marinade halfway through cooking.
6. Cut the romaine in half lengthwise and grill the inner surface for a maximum of 30 seconds to obtain nice BBQ marks. If desired, also grill the seasonal vegetables.
7. Serve the grilled salad and skewers with our Ranch Vinaigrette-Marinade and/or remaining BBQ sauce.
Notes: For the remaining sauce, pour it in a Masson-style jar and store it in the fridge for future use. Thanks to the cider vinegar, it will easily keep for several weeks.
Photo credits Stéfanie Crevier @le_refuge_soins_naturels and Debbie Barrette @debphotographe